We Thank You For Visiting Our Blog. Please Book Marked This Page For Future Reference Or Be One Of Our Blog Followers.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Getting Unstuck In The Gym
















Yo~~ Just trained my legs yesterday. With the help of my workout partner Kayee Lai and another iron brother, I had a great workout! With lots of compound movements and a few heavy sets, I almost puke at the end of my leg extension pump set. Definitely it was not the typical "SQUAT TILL YOU PUKE" type of workout. I knew I can't continue with my workout after I puked, because I've experienced for couples of times before.

Talking about working out, I had lots of people approached me and ask me questions such as: "How can I improve more on my bench and/or squats. How can I gain more lean muscle? How to increase strength because I think I hit the plateau and my gain is stagnant and I'm so dissapointed with my progress..."

If you are reading this and you think you are experiencing the situations above, stop doing the same old thing and sit on your butt!!! It's time to take action! Each of the following strategies can help you get rolling again:


1) If you've been killing yourself in the gym to no avail, don't train for a week. Focus your mind on other pressing matters instead, like solving world, helping out victims in Haiti or figuring out why TV detectives can only solve crimes once they've been relieved of duty.


2) If, on the other hand, a few days off every week is the problem, blast your body for a week or so. Let it know you are back in charge.


3) Get adequate sleep, which for most people means at least 6-8 hours a night. Zzzz.......


4) Eat 5-6 healthy, nutrient packed meals a day. You AREN'T going anywhere if you don't have fuel in your tank. (undereating is the most common problem among people who weight train)


5) Give your body adequate time to rest between workouts. Seldom, if ever, train the same bodypart on back-to-back days, for example.


6) If applicable, stop taking every set to failure.


7) Periodise your training to keep tour head in the game and your body on its toes.


Overtraining: WARNING Signs

When your gains slow to a crawl, the first order of business is to make sure you aren't overtraining. You may need a little R&R if you are experiencing some combination of these telltale signs:

A: Elevated resting pulse rate upon awakening.




B: Loss of interest in training.




C: Increase injuries, muscle aches or both.




D: Irritability.




E: Insomnia.




F: Loss of muscle size.




G: Headache.




H: Fatigue.




I: Diminished sex drive.




J: Loss of appetite.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good write-up to those who are experiencing the above. A simple word to summarise it would be "Post-Mortem" your exercises. Think, think and think, what had gone wrong while resting your body, soul and mind, you will find the answer. If not, call me to help you out :) You must know what you are doing everytime when you perform a specific exercise. It's important telling yourself and imagine the parts you are working ON, NOT just for the sake of doing. Personally I had overcome plateau, and now I will not be facing any uphill task meeting this old friend anymore LOL...old friend's name is called Mr. Plateau! If you ever meet yours, kick his ass! Ops!...(keep smiling)..

    ReplyDelete